Sunday 9 January 2011

Marketing Ideas and a really good 'make your own calendar' tip


I am thinking a lot lately about marketing, target audiences and how to reach them. In Sweden it is a mixed bag, there are technology savvy people and there are the older generation who are not quite so and are just getting to grips with searching the internet.

Google sent me an ad the other day with money off for Ad words. It seems I would get a small advert on the right hand side of the page on a Google search result page but only pay if someone clicked on my website. I am skeptical. As a routine searcher myself I regularly click on those links to see what I get and where, rarely does that ever lead to a purchase which leaves me feeling that I may just end up paying for people to surf the net. There is strong argument that it may just get traffic to my site and that alone is good enough but I am not sooo sure and it's quite a risk.......but one I may have to take to drive new audiences to the site.

It is time to target some publications too. I have seen that magazines for mums are very popular when advertising jewellery here in Sweden and I have even approached my local orienteering club who advertise on the back of their quarterly pamphlet. There is a local newspaper that goes out once a week too and that does reach a LOT of local people as it is free but the adverts don’t come cheap.....time to design a good (but tiny) advert!

So that covers the internet and publications for now but I feel like I need to reach more people so I think I may get some small A5 leaflets printed and hit the streets of Alingsås and Gothenburg. I will also leave some at the tourist information in town and make sure I am registered on the company website for Alingsås.....every little bit helps.

I did see a really good way to promote a site too this week. A fellow Etsy shop owner, (check out his blog I am following on the left), is doing a giveaway competition but in order to be entered you have to follow his blog, add his blog to yours etc etc. It's all designed to get the word out there......I think I may have to follow in this wise mans footsteps soon....maybe a February give away.........WATCH THIS SPACE ;o)


One little tip I found this month too....a website where you can make your own Swedish or Finnish or Norwegian calendar:
http://kjell.haxx.se/kalender/
You can upload pictures for each month and insert dates for birthdays throughout the year which update the age of the person automatically every year if you put in the original date of birth and of course it has all the flag days, red days and name days in there, perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment